Monday, September 3, 2012

An excerpt from The Spanish Hunger Games

EATING ALONE IS NO FUN. That's what I thought after lunch today, anyway. So the solution is to just not eat very much, obviously. (Just kidding, Mom!!!)

My first morning was a lil rough – went to an ATM to withdraw most of the money I had left in my American account, and the machine kindly spit out a receipt but failed to spit out any of what I really wanted, i.e. cash, HELLO. And apparently that's an issue that can only be dealt with right when the bank opens because when I went inside to complain I mean explain, the teller told me he couldn't do anything about it but that I should keep my receipt and come back tomorrow at 8:30 a.m when someone else could. I was like whaaat. (But I didn't cry cuz I remembered I had a credit card + a few U.S. buck-a-roos, HUZZAH.)
-->

At that point, I realized I hadn't eaten since the plane ride oops. So I ate lunch in a little café, where I permitted myself a moment of holy cow loneliness. I thought: "These waiters probably think I have no friends..." And then I thought: "Wait, I actually don't have any friends here yet, OH MAN." 


The afternoon shaped up to be much better, however:

- I bought my very first smartphone! I-i-i-i love technology.
- I took a nap (this is key, considering mad jetlag) and procured snacks to stash in my purse, pockets, hotel room, etc.
- I wandered about and saw a lot of the beautiful city that is Madrid. Hey, is there a word that implies aimlessness like "wandered" but includes an added element of swiftness? Because whatever that word is, that's what I actually did. (J-Man, help me out here.)
 
Pan y jamón ibérico nom
And then, somehow, it was already 7:30, a.k.a. TAPAS TIME. But I kept walking past places where no one, I mean no one, was eating alone. I almost chickened out and ate a bowl of cereal for dinner. But then I gave myself a pep talk ("Girl, you GOT this") and went into a chill/slow restaurant and took a seat at a table near the bar. By that time it was quarter to 9 – I had both literally and figuratively been dragging my feet (hehe, sorryyy). The result? Not only were the food & drink DELISH, but the waiter was also super nice and chatted with me from behind the bar for most of the time I was there.*
Un rollito de salmón con gulas
(salmon-wrapped imitation eel)

And the best part is: as a result of manning up and just walking into a restaurant already, I found a solution to the hunger problem!! Until I am settled in an apartment, I will just eat tapas AS MY DINNER, why did I not think of that before duhhh. A few tapas make the PERFECT-sized meal for me, plus they are super economical, and they are served starting at like 7 or 8 p.m. That is what I call a WIN, WIN, WIN, my friends.

May your dinners be as tasty as mine!


❤ ,

E.

*I forgot to take photos of the food! (Sorry, Soph!) But the photos in this post are Google images that look exactly like what I ate tonight. And the beer, well, beer just looks like beer, so. :)



3 comments:

  1. You are so brave!! WTG! I love this blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmm... not sure you can get at it with a standalone verb. Those that first come to mind -- meandered, wandered -- seem to contain an inherent element of slowness. The best I can think of is "roved" (moved constantly without a fixed destination, i.e., "roved about the city"). Otherwise, you could either put the speed in the verb and the randomness in an adverb like "aimlessly" ("aimlessly flitted about," "aimlessly darted about") or vice versa, with an adverb like "rapidly" ("rapidly roamed") or "swiftly" ("swiftly crisscrossed").

    In any case, it's tricky! I'm sure there's the perfect word for it in French. And it sounds like a lovely first meal -- may you enjoy each one more than the last! =)

    ReplyDelete