Monday, March 18, 2013

Hunger Games No More

Well one thing's for sure: either Katniss has a
super weird face shape, or I do. This was hard.
So I’ve made a few references to The Hunger Games before but have never actually explained what it is. For those of you who don’t know, it’s a science fiction novel about a bunch of kids who get chosen by their government to fight to the death in a televised battle. Personally, I would’ve called them the Survival Games or the Reality Show on ‘Roids. But the point is, when I first came to Spain, I was playing the Spanish Hunger Games. I was just trying to survive as rivals like Jetlag, Santander Bank, and Spanish Dinner Hour did their best to bring me down. 

But now, 6+ months later, I’ve (unilaterally) decided I've officially survived the Spanish Hunger Games. Which makes me a winner! Without even having to pretend I was going to commit suicide by eating poisoned berries! While there are definitely still challenges in my day-to-day life, I am happy, healthy, and can usually find my way around without so much as a map to guide me. And I NEVER go hungry. (Spaniards are widely known for eating dinner late, but has anyone ever told you that Spaniards eat 5 meals a day? For some reason everyone forgets to mention that part…)

Speaking of food and winning, a few of the more fun recipes I have mastered in the past few months (all made from scratch!) are:

- quiche-of-whatever-veggies-I-have-on-hand 

I bet you can't even tell
what this is... but I
invented it, and
it's delicious.
- tacos/fajitas/gorditas (on homemade corn tortillas I’ll
  have you know…),
Mexican rice & beans, etc., because
  Mexican food > all other food

- black bean burgers
- cheddar corn chowder (and a variety of other soups)
- potato gnocchi
- and many other things that I can’t think of right now.

I’ve also moved to (often) cooking without recipes! Maybe not so exciting for some, but def exciting for me.

Two things I have not yet mastered, however, are: 

- soy sauce (Why does it always come out so fast??
  Wah wahhh there’s no way to take it back.)

- TORTILLA ESPAÑOLA

Every time I think about making tortilla I find some reason I can’t. Don’t have enough eggs on hand. Don’t have a non-stick frying pan (that actually is sort of a prob, not even lying). Don’t have time. But one of these days, I’ll do it. And then I’ll take a picture of it and post it here for everyone to see. And then I’ll share it with my roommates because no one can eat a tortilla single-handedly and it’s best eaten warm. :)


And, when I visit you next, wherever you are, I will make one for you, too! Until then, this picture will have to do.

Love,
E.

P.S. In one of my first blog posts, I promised a post entitled “Kids Say the Darndest Things: Spanish Edition.” But I’ve taken to tweeting those in real time because otherwise I forget them. Twitter also happens to be where I carry on a one way conversation with Aaron Rodgers: http://twitter.com/ellegoldsch

P.P.S. On Thursday I’m leaving for spring break, so I’ll be out of touch for a few weeks. Will be back in Madrid on April 1, and will post about my travelin’ tiemz shortly after!

1 comment:

  1. What a blog post!! Very informative and also easy to understand. Looking for more such comments!! Do you have a facebook? I recommended it on digg. The only thing that it’s missing is a bit of new design.
    Lol boost

    ReplyDelete